. . .
: : Sweet Onion Dip : :
Skip the prefab dips in the market; this cooked Vidalia dip is beyond better. The onions are subdued to begin with; cooking them concentrates their sugars for extra sweetness.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Vidalia onions (1 pound total), finely chopped
- Sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Potato chips, bagel chips, or crackers, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine onions, sour cream, cream cheese, vinegar, and chives; season with salt and pepper. Chill dip until slightly thickened, about 1 hour; or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Serve with your choice of potato chips, bagel chips, or crackers.
Makes about 2 cups