Why is something as simple as chocolate pudding so delightful?
Smooth and creamy, intense and rich.
Notes: Our favorite way to eat chocolate pudding is hot from the pan, poured over vanilla ice cream. It acts as a chocolate sauce, but has much more depth.
My sweetener of choice is maple syrup. But you can use anything you wish: white sugar, raw sugar, sucanat, etc.
What’s your favorite way to eat chocolate pudding?
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon (just a pinch) salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1) In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, salt, cocoa powder, and maple syrup until smooth. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and egg yolks.
2) Slowly whisk the milk & yolks into the mixture in the pan. Set the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
3) Remove from heat and stir in the butter & vanilla. Serve warm (over ice cream) or chilled (with whipped cream).
Makes approximately 4 servings