Yesterday, I had a completely new experience: homemade hot chocolate. Not the kind made with cocoa powder and sugar. No. The Kind made with REAL chocolate.
Oh my. It was like drinking chocolate pudding; it was so rich I couldn’t finish it in one sitting!
Notes: I used maple syrup for the added sweetener and bittersweet chocolate chips for the chocolate. I also added a bit of cream to the milk. Perhaps next time I will use only milk as it was so rich.
Homemade Hot Chocolate
Adapted from Elise Bauer
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces chocolate, preferably dark
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup or natural sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1) Chop the chocolate very finely.
2) In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and cream to a low simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally.
3) Add the chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Whisk vigorously until all of the chocolate has melted. Cook for an additional 4 minutes, whisking constantly.
4) Serve with maple whipped cream (recipe follows) if desired.
Serves 4 generously
Maple Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (more if you like your whipped cream very sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and beat until stiff.
And now for the Frigidaire Accessories winner:
Commenter #90: Diana!
I have contacted Diana and sent her the coupon code.
Thank you all for participating in the giveaway!