Hello all! Can you believe that February is already well on its way? Also, it’s only 10 days until my due date. I’m so ready for this kid to arrive!
Here are some things that have brought me joy over the past few weeks.
My first attempt at a splash photo. It made a huge mess.
Grapefruit + Avocado salad (spring greens, grapefruit, avocado, sea salt + fresh ground pepper, and a grapefruit juice vinaigrette). See the completed salad HERE.
My sister, Amanda, got engaged. I had the fun of taking the engagement photos. See more HERE.
Reuben surprised me with flowers one evening.
On days when the weather will permit, it’s been fun to take leisurely walks through the woods.
I decided that with part of my birthday money I should make an order from Terrain. I chose the Weck jelly jars and a wooden spoon.
Meyer Lemons. Something new-to-me. So far I’ve made creme brulee with them, but I also want to try my hand at lemon curd.
Honey on fresh baked bread (with butter, of course). Is there anything better?
Hope you all are having a smashing 2013 so far. What has brought you joy lately?
What a wonderful match of fall flavors! A while back Mom bought two lugs of pears, and we have been patiently waiting for them to ripen. Now they’re ready, and we have to deal with those two lugs of pears. NO problem! We froze some, dehydrated others, and turned them into jam. And I couldn’t help but put them into this scrumptious loaf!
: : Honey Pecan Pear Bread : :
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (9.5 oz) Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled pears
- 2/3 cups chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8 x 4 x 2-in. loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine honey and butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix well.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cardamom and cinnamon. Gently fold into the wet ingredients just into moist. Fold in the pears and pecans.
3. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 60-75 min or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with butter, cream cheese, pear jam, or a combination.